Friday, April 23, 2004

Forgot about this for a few days. Hi, I'm Dave, 56 years old scotsman. Today is a moan day.

Has anybody out there got the MSI Personal Cinema FX5200-VT128 graphics card? If so have you had problems with the drivers? I sure have. The problem seems to lie with the remote control software and a little file by the name of nvgpio.dll which is part of the Intervideo WinDVR software bundled with the card, and also involves the TV software (I think). Basically an error message comes up after booting into windows, to say that nvarem.exe (the remote software) must close. So no remote. Great!! That was one of the features I liked about the card. There is a work around for this problem. Delete vngpio.dll from the system32 folder, and the remote works. Goodness knows what will now fail to work. I suspect it will be the TV tuner but I've not yet fixed up an arial for my PC, so can't say for sure. Now when I boot-up I get a little box named 'test' which says 'Load nvgpio.dll fail' and 'OK'. Press OK, the box appears again, click OK again and it disappears. Nothing else has failed to work, but I await with trepidation, the installation of the TV arial.

I e-mailed MSI regarding this issue many weeks ago but they haven't got back to me, and I suspect, never will. I'm sure they must know of the problems because it is a major source of complaint on the MSI forum. This is an nVidia card but there is no point in getting in touch with them as their site is quite explicit. They don't manufacture the cards, they only supply the chips to the various companies who make the cards, and in the event of any problems 'contact the manufacturers' of said cards. Talk about passing the buck. After all they do write software which can be used with 'the manufacturers' cards, and their software causes the same problems as MSI's.

So I appeal to anyone who knows of an answer to this problem. Please get in touch!!!

It has been suggested by some that one way to overcome this situation is to re-format the HD, do a clean install of the OS and the graphics drivers.

My system is fairly new, having built it myself a couple of months ago. The details are as follows:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Graphics: MSI Personal Cinema FX5200-VT128
Mem: Cosair Platinum TwinX 512MB DDR XMS3200C2PT CAS2
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Core Retail and supplied fan.
OS: Windows XP Home Edition - OEM
Main Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax +9 160GB 7200rpm 8MB Cache
Slave: Maxtor DiamondMax 60GB
CD: Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo SM 352B

Nothing in the PC is overclocked so there is no strain on the system.

No comments: